January 2014 – DSE Conference February 1, 2014 – If you have not heard Sue Buckley speak before, you are missing out if you do not attend this conference. She will be presenting across a variety of educational topics with Becky Baxter, another excellent presenter. The conference is at UCI in the Student Center. Cost is $125 per person and registration is open for a few more days. You can register through Eventbrite at: https://dseconference.eventbrite.com. If you are with a regional center (other than Orange County), you can also request that they pay for your attendance. The vendor number for the conference is PM1261.
Conference take away for attendees include:
– The latest relevant research findings that indicate effective ways to help people with Down Syndrome learn.
– How we can use this research to develop practical methods and activities to promote academic development and independence in the home and in education settings.
– Techniques, tips and strategies which parents and professionals can use immediately to improve learning outcomes.
Topics covered include:
– Specific learning profile of those with Down syndrome
– Developing working memory skills
– Developing speech, language and communication skills
– Developing reading and literacy skills
– Developing number and math skills
– Supporting full inclusion and meaningful lives
– Social development, friendships and behavior
– Managing behavior
– Developing motor skills and independence
– Encouraging age appropriate behavior
– Cognition, play and numerals
– Strategies for accessing the curriculum
We hope to see you there!